Saturday, February 12, 2011

Happy Birthday Abe Lincoln.

"If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very best I know how – the very best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what is said against me won’t amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right would make no difference.” by Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)

Also quoted by my first boss - Wisconsin Governor Warren P. Knowles (1969) and his Executive Assistant Paul Hassett in a printed card used in the office durng tough times with the legislature, press and other stakeholders. I still have the card that was printed by the office to remind the small staff that we had to persevere when we knew we were right. The quote still gives me courage to "to do the very best I know how" regarding matters of academic and personal freedom, the celebration of democracy for our nation, the sanctity of the university and education, the intellectual growth of my students, the protection of my faculty colleagues from injustice and the health and welfare of my family. Thanks, Abe!

No comments: